Biographical entry Henry, Louis ( - 1924)
Dr L. Henry was an original Wallaby Club member, joining in 1894.He is regarded as the founder of the club. He was an active office-bearer and remained a member until his death in 1924. He was elected President in 1894, 1895, 1896 and 1908 and Secretary 1899-1906. He was a physician who migrated to Australia in 1878 and was joint founder of the Victorian Branch of the British Medical Association in 1879. He was also a composer and a Justice of the Peace.
In 1908 . . . 'To Moore suceeded Henry, the only President to enjoy more than one term of office. His election for the year 1908-1909 was recognition of his unceasing labours for the welfare of the Club; it was the one recompense he desired and appreciated. It must be remembered that the Club over which Henry presided this year was practically a new club; only Elliston, Gibbs, Krome, Harrison Moore and Syme reamined of the members on the roll of 1896 when Henry had previously been President.
Alfred Hart [pages 31-32].
- 1894 - 1924
- Membership - Wallaby Club
Sources used to compile this entry: Attwood, Harold (ed.), The Centenary History of the Wallaby Club, Landscape Publications, Mont Albert, 1993. List of members page 135, additional references page 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 18, 19, 20, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 37, 40, 43, 44, 48, 54, 74, 86, 93, 103, 108, 126.
Prepared by: Gavan McCarthy
Created: 11 January 2007, Last modified: 22 February 2007
A Private Club
The Wallaby Club is a Melbourne-based walking club established in 1894 with a strong bias towards good fellowship, talking and an appreciation of both the natural and built environments. Membership is strictly limited and is by invitation only.
Dates and details of annual walks from 1894.