Established 1894

The Wallaby Club .Inc

Official Position President (1894 - )

From
22 June 1894

Summary

The President of the Wallaby Club is the highest office of leadership and was established at the founding meeting of the Club on 22 June 1894. The President has an annual term and probably has the best opportunity to influence the fortunes of the Club during this period. The year of office commences at the Annual General Meeting which is held in the first week of July each year (or thereabouts).

Details

'The Wallaby Club is rich in its folk-lore and sometimes earthy traditions. It is a friendly group, relaxed in its modus operandi and almost totally devoid of the ceremonial. Only two rituals are rigidly observed. One is the Swinging of the Billy after tea has been brewed over the camp fire. [Sadly this has become irregular if not uncommon]. The other is the Presentation of the ANZAC Stick. . . At the commencement of the dinner that follows the Annual General Meeting, the outgoing President calls the members to rise. He raises the Stick from the stand before him, holds it aloft and solemnly reads [a set passage - see entry on the ANZAC Stick].'

The President then reads the names inscribed from 1901 to the present - a recital of extraordinary impact, evoking a history which far transcends the modest significance of our small club. For the roll call of former presidents includes name after name of Australians of the highest distinction - statesmen, soldiers, scientists, lawyers, doctors, politicians: builders of our nation. Oh, we are not all of such heroic stature, but there are more than enough stars to fill us with pride at being included amongst such company.'

Roy Simpson [page 94]

Related Cultural Artefacts

Related Organisations

Related People

Sources used to compile this entry: Attwood, Harold (ed.), The Centenary History of the Wallaby Club, Landscape Publications, Mont Albert, 1993. Chapter: 'The President', pages 94-101.

Prepared by: Gavan McCarthy

A Private Club

The Wallaby Club is a Melbourne-based walking club established in 1894 with a strong bias towards good fellowship, talking and an appreciation of both the natural and built environments. Membership is strictly limited and is by invitation only.

Browse Entries

Browse Walks

Dates and details of annual walks from 1894.

Walks