Biographical entry Woodruff, H.A.
Professor H. Woodruff joined the Wallaby Club in 1913 and maintained his membership until his death in 1966. He was elected President in 1946. At the University of Melbourne he was Professor of Veterinary Science from 1913 and later Professor of Bacteriology from 1935. He was also Chairman of the Zoological Board of Victoria in 1946. He made the 'rests' for the ANZAC Stick and donated them to the Club in 1946. He served as a Major in World War I and is the Grandfather of K. Woodruff.
'When President in 1946, Professor Woodruff very graciously presented to the Club a pair of rests for the Anzac Stick, made from coastal tea-tree (Leptospermum laevigatum) another link between the scrib-clad shores of Port Phillip and the barren ridges of Gallipoli [was forged]. The History to date would be incomplete without mention of this worthy Yorkshireman, one of the many fine sons of Britain who made their homes amongst us, and done so much for the scientific development of our country and the enrichment of its culture. H.A. Woodruff, Professor of Veterinary Science in the Unviersity of Melbourne from 1913, unitl the closing of the Veterinary School in 1928, then Professor of Bacteriology, and now Professor Emeritus, has been a splendid Wallaby for 41 years, and can still keep his place amonst those who walk. He has often entertained walkers at his home in Kew and through his courtesy we were able to hold our Christmas Dinners at the Zoological Gardens in 1951 and 1952, where the excellent cuisine and friendly service were much appreciated.'
J. Woodburn, pages 73-74
- 1913 - 1966
- Membership - Wallaby Club
Sources used to compile this entry: Attwood, Harold (ed.), The Centenary History of the Wallaby Club, Landscape Publications, Mont Albert, 1993. List of members page 142, additional references page 62, 73, 94, 95, 96, 125, photographs page 42, 61, 75.
Prepared by: Gavan McCarthy
Created: 14 March 2007, Last modified: 12 April 2007
A Private Club
The Wallaby Club is a Melbourne-based walking club established in 1894 with a strong bias towards good fellowship, talking and an appreciation of both the natural and built environments. Membership is strictly limited and is by invitation only.
Dates and details of annual walks from 1894.