Biographical entry Young, W.J. ( - 1942)
Professor W. Young joined the Wallaby Club in 1921 and maintained his membership until his death in 1942. He was elected President in 1925. He was the foundation Professor of Biochemistry at the University of Melbourne from 1938 to 1942. Earlier he had worked at the Lister Institute of Preventive Medicine (1900-1912) and at the Institute of Tropical Medicine, Townsville, Queensland (1913-1920). From 1920 to 1938 he occupied the positions of Lecturer and Associate Professor of Biochemistry at the University of Melbourne.
Regarding his Presidency: 'In 1925 W.J. Young succeeded. He had only been a member for four years and his elevation to the chair was a marked tribute to his enthusiasm for the Club. A Manchester man, and a most amiable person, he was a staunch Wallaby until his death in 1942. He came from England to the School of Tropical Medicine at Townsville, and later to the University of Melbourne, where he was appointed Professor of Bio-chemistry, when a chair was established in that subject.'
J. Woodburn, page 63
- 1921 - 1942
- Membership - Wallaby Club
Sources used to compile this entry: Attwood, Harold (ed.), The Centenary History of the Wallaby Club, Landscape Publications, Mont Albert, 1993. List of members page 142, additional references page 39, 62, 63, 71, photographs page 52.
Prepared by: Gavan McCarthy
Created: 17 April 2007
A Private Club
The Wallaby Club is a Melbourne-based walking club established in 1894 with a strong bias towards good fellowship, talking and an appreciation of both the natural and built environments. Membership is strictly limited and is by invitation only.
Dates and details of annual walks from 1894.