Biographical entry Sanderson, Robert R. (1918 - 2008)
- 22 December 2008
Bob Sanderson joined the Wallaby Club in 1994 and maintained his membership until his death in 2008. He was a partner with Peat Marwick Mitchell and Chairman of Brighton Grammar School for 22 years. He was a Fellow of Trinity College and a Squadron Leader in the Royal Australian Air Force in World War II.
Bob Sanderson died on December 22nd aged 90. Throughout his long life Bob excelled in everything he did. In his final year at Brighton Grammar he was School Captain, Dux of the School, Cadet Lieutenant and was a keen sportsman. He had a continuing affiliation with the school, serving on its Council for 41 years, 22 of them as Chairman.
After leaving school, he joined an accounting firm, becoming a partner some years later. He had a special interest in the mining industry and subsequently played a significant role in the entry of his firm into the international firm KPMG. Bob spent WWII in the RAAF including some time in England with the RAF where he flew a large number of low-altitude photographic reconnaissance sorties over enemy territory, often in the face of intense fire. He finished his war service as a Squadron Leader and was decorated with the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC).
After the war, he completed a degree in Commerce at the University of Melbourne. A resident at Trinity College, he began an association with the College that included 33 years as a member of its Council. He was elected a Fellow of the College in 1989. After he retired, Bob completed a Master of Environmental Studies degree. Bob joined the Wallaby Club in 1994. He was a pleasant walking companion and a good listener. His membership of the Club meant a lot to him and he was a much-valued member of the Committee for several years. He will be greatly missed.
[Wallaby Club Notice to Members, No. 5, 2008/9, January 2009]
- 1994 - 2008
- Membership - Wallaby Club
Prepared by: Gavan McCarthy
Created: 29 June 2007, Last modified: 15 October 2009
A Private Club
The Wallaby Club is a Melbourne-based walking club established in 1894 with a strong bias towards good fellowship, talking and an appreciation of both the natural and built environments. Membership is strictly limited and is by invitation only.
Dates and details of annual walks from 1894.